Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Secret to Newton’s Boldness in Prayer

Nay, I cannot let Thee go,
Till a blessing thou bestow;
Do not turn away thy face,
Mine’s an urgent pressing case.
 
Dost thou ask me, who I am?
Ah, my LORD, thou know’st my name!
Yet the question gives a plea,
To support my suit with thee.
 
Thou didst once a wretch behold,
In rebellion blindly bold;
Scorn thy grace, thy pow’r defy,
That poor rebel, Lord, was I.
 
Once a sinner near despair,
Sought thy mercy–seat by prayer;
Mercy heard and set him free,
Lord, that mercy came to me,
 
Many years have passed since then,
Many changes I have seen;
Yet have been upheld till now,
Who could hold me up but thou?
 
Thou hast helped in every need,
This emboldens me to plead;
After so much mercy past,
Canst thou let me sink at last?
 
No—I must maintain my hold,
’Tis thy goodness makes me bold;
I can no denial take,
When I plead for Jesu’s sake.
-------
Two days ago we looked at the difference between Cowper and Newton.  This hymn is a clue to understanding Newton’s boldness in prayer. 

How is it that Newton is so bold in prayer? 

First, he realizes that God knows His name (stanza 2).  Rather than this awakening dread, this is a great comfort to him.  To be known by God means that you have an ear with God in prayer. 

Secondly, Newton has experienced mercy and healing (3-4).  In a very real sense Newton was set free.  His experience of present mercy causes him to be bold. 

Thirdly, his history with the Lord has encouraged him to continue pleading with God in prayer (5-6).  God has never let him sink, why should he now?  So, Newton, though in great need still clings to the Lord for blessing. 

Lastly, Newton understands that when he pleads “for Jesus’ sake” (7), he cannot be refused.  It is the goodness of God, through the Lord Jesus, that creates in Newton such boldness.  This is why he could say in hymn 4, “Great as he is, I dare be free”. 

If you are in Christ, this same boldness in prayer is afforded to us.  All of these things that are true of Newton are true of every believer.  May we make these truths experientially evident today.

No comments:

Post a Comment