Saturday, January 1, 2011

Grace Empowers Repentance

On man, in his own image made,
How much did GOD bestow?
The whole creation homage paid,
And owned him LORD, below!
 
He dwelt in Eden’s garden, stored
With sweets for every sense;
And there with his descending LORD
He walked in confidence.
 
But O! by sin how quickly changed!
His honor forfeited,
His heart, from God and truth, estranged,
His conscience filled with dread!
 
Now from his Maker’s voice he flees,
Which was before his joy:
And thinks to hide, amidst the trees,
From an All–seeing eye.
 
Compelled to answer to his name,
With stubbornness and pride
He cast, on God himself, the blame,
Nor once for mercy cried.
 
But grace, unasked, his heart subdued
And all his guilt forgave;
By faith, the promised seed he viewed,
And felt his pow’r to save.
 
Thus we ourselves would justify,
Though we the Law transgress;
Like him, unable to deny,
Unwilling to confess.
 
But when by faith the sinner sees
A pardon bought with blood;
Then he forsakes his foolish pleas,
And gladly turns to God.
Olney Hymns, Hymn 1, From Genesis 3
--------
The sixth stanza may be a tad fanciful.  We are not certain that “all his guilt” did God forgive.  But Newton is probably considering God making garments for Adam and Eve and clothing their shame.  We also are not sure how much of “the promised Seed he view’d”.  But we do know that God did proclaim to them that a Seed would come to rescue.

In the seventh stanza Newton reminds us that we are still like Adam.  Though we are obviously guilty we still try to come up with foolish pleas.  We are even bold enough to blame God for our insolence.  How often have I done this in my own life?  I know in my heart that I am guilty.  My conscience will not let me hide, and I go around contriving all sorts of stories and excuses to plead my innocence, all the while knowing that I cannot deny my guilt. 

Newton believes that when we see the remedy for our guilt we forsake our foolishness and turn to God.  The key to this statement is “by faith”.  It is with the eyes of faith that the sinner sees the provision of Christ.  Otherwise we will never gladly turn to God.  Faith, the kind that leads to sight, will enable and strengthen repentance.

The gospel strengthens repentance.  When I know that I am forgiven in Christ suddenly I have no need to hide behind my foolish pleas.  I see that God forgives so I can be honest about may failure.  My acceptance is already purchased. 

Remember this today, and don’t bother with these foolish pleas.  Fly to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment